Tuesday 21 April 2015

Boys and Baby dolls

I worked in the childcare industry before having my son. While there I noticed that children are not always steered to the "gender" specific toys such as trains are boys toys and a teaset is for girls. 
Without adult persuasion boys would cook in the kitchen area and girls would happily build a complex train set.
Right then and there I decided when I had children that I would try and not steer my son or daughter towards "gender" roles. Not everyone agreed with this. But I don't care as they are my children.
So when my son was about 7 months old he took an interest in his 10 month old cousins doll. So my mum bought a doll dressed in blue pajamas for my son. Mr Z absolutely loved it. He would cuddle it and also learnt to kiss by kissing his baby.
I think that this will allow my son to be learn how to be a father, as well as learn how to show compassion and get him ready for when we eventually add another child into our family unit. I also believe that making a child only play with certain "gender" specific toys and activities limits their imagination, creation and lives as they grow. In this day and age a boy and girl can both be teachers, firefighters, doctors, chefs, farmers and nurses. And as you can imagine I was quit impressed and pleased by the fact that a trainee midwife delivered my son and he was a male!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment