Wednesday 22 April 2015

Why I chose to cloth nappy my son

When I was pregnant, my friend from work was also pregnant she told me how she was going to cloth nappy her baby. I was like what? To me cloth nappies meant terry toweling and complicated folds. So after I had my son we used disposables most of which we had given at my baby shower. Wanting to stay at home as long as possible I thought about ways to save money. Which is when I remembered my conversation with my friend. So I got in contact with her and she pointed me in the direction of MCNs. (Modern Cloth Nappies) Which are user friendly. 
I researched between the different types of MCNs.
-AIO -all in one
-pocket
-prefolds
-fitted
-snap in
I decided pockets would suit me more.

Then researched whether I wanted 
-FS -front snap
-SS- side snap
I chose front snap.

Then I had to chose whether I wanted sized or OSFM (one size fits most). I chose the OSFM as I thought it would mean that I wouldn't have to fork out a lot of money continually as my son grows.
I then found a starter pack to try to see if I actually liked it and would want to do it. 

I loved it. So I bought a 24 pack, and haven't looked back since. Which is a year ago. 

Since becoming involved in MCNs I have also learnt about the environmental factor. 

- it takes hundreds of years for one disposable nappy to disintegrate 
- there are a lot of chemicals in disposable nappies
- in the production of disposable nappies a lot of water is used

Money factor
According  to the Sydney Morning Herald article you would spend under $1000 from birth to toilet training. Whereas disposables will cost between $1900 - $3000. 

http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/disposable-income-how-modern-cloth-nappies-can-save-a-bundle-20110914-1k9nh.html

So in the end my reasons extended to not only a financial benefit but also environmental benefit and health reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment